Do you dance to your own tune? And do you have the courage and conviction to do what you need to do in order to fulfill your potential? One of my coaching clients, Victoria Ward, HR Director, Merchants has just won The Institute for People Management (IPM) HR Director of the year award in South Africa. Victoria has been utterly courageous and fearless in pursuing her potential. And this accolade is richly deserved, Victoria, I salute you!
Can you imagine your potential?
What’s your potential? Have you realised it? Do you know you are capable of so much more? If so, what is holding you back? Over the years I have met thousands of people in business who are deeply frustrated – they know they are capable of so much more, and yet, realising their potential seems just out of reach somehow. As we fast march towards 2013, what do you want for yourself over the next twelve months?
Because, if you can imagine it, you can do it…
If you can see what it looks like, feel the satisfaction, hear the accolades, you are already dancing your way to being the person you know you are capable of being. Sometimes, we just need a little help and support to get what’s holding us back and to make the leap into the next phase. If this is ringing true for you, my advice is to get yourself a coach or mentor.
How to choose a Coach or Mentor
Choosing a Coach or Mentor to work with can be tricky so here are a few pointers:
- Make sure your coach is International Coach Federation (ICF) qualified;
- You need to have “chemistry” – ideally talk to three coaches to work out who you have most chemistry with;
- Choose a coach who has a depth of business experience and a good few years coaching expertise;
- Ask for references and talk to those who have worked with the coach;
- Don’t be put off by location – coaching over skype is equally as effective as meeting face-to-face.
As above, AND…
- Pick a mentor who has worked in your role, in your industry and sector;
- Choose a mentor who has accomplished what you are looking to achieve.
If you are unsure about whether you are ready for coaching or mentoring, you can answer my coaching questionnaire here. It is designed to help you to crystallise your thinking and clarify your purpose.